Sunday, September 29, 2013

Boone's birthday party!

Let me start by saying that while I love Pinterest, it really does make me a neurotic parent. It's like there are a million things on there that make you feel like you aren't being crafty enough, or organic enough, or organized enough. So, when it came to Boone's first birthday party, of course I looked through Pinterest for ideas on how to create a farm-themed 1st birthday. But when it came down to the actual party, I realized that if you have Boone + lots of people who love him and want to show him attention + yummy food and dessert, a good party will be the result. And that is exactly what we had.

We held the party at Jeff's parent's house, and while the party was on one of the hottest days in Missouri so far this year, we were all able to stay nice and cool inside and enjoyed the sights of the farm from a nice, air-conditioned house. We did go outside for a bit, but soon I remembered how a "hot" day in Calgary doesn't hold a candle to 100+ degree temps and humidity in Missouri.

Anyways, back to the party! We had mostly family and a few close friends come for the party, and we served pulled pork, smoked chicken, a couple of sides of salad, pasta salad and watermelon and then we topped it all off with an ice cream sundae bar. I decided to just make Boone a small smash cake for him to enjoy. I really thought about going all out and getting a cute farm-themed birthday cake, but in the end, I figured maybe this could become a tradition where I make his cake every year... (that Martha Stewart-esque notion may go up in flames in the future... we shall see!)

Here's a few pictures of the day! Pictures that I took are mixed in along with pictures that Carol Robertson too, so if you see some nice shots, the credit probably belongs to her! :) There are lots of pictures, so get ready:


Birthday Banner! My family's dear friend, Sybil. made this for us, and it's actually made with chalkboard fabric! So you can reuse it again and again with different messages! I love it!




The set up downstairs. It was WAY too hot to eat outdoors! The pictures hanging on the wall were of Boone (almost) every week in his first year. It was fun to look back on them all at one time!


I brought blue mason jars from my mom's house to get flowers for centerpieces for the table. Then I got cheap and saw on the wildflowers growing outside on the farm and decided to just pick those! I did have a bit of a hiccup though because I picked some ragweed (not knowing it was ragweed) because I thought it made for pretty greenery in the bouquet! Can you tell I don't have allergies?? Luckily, I got rid of it before anyone showed up! Ha!


Boone's little smash cake! I did cream cheese icing on Carol's 
recommendation and Boone seemed to really like it! And the candle on the cake never actually got lit. Do you think I trust my son to be within 5 feet of an open flame? 


We didn't really get a good picture of Boone's party outfit! He had a monogrammed shirt that my mom made for him with a tractor on it. And then my mom also made a little farm bib for him to wear!


Uncle John and his girlfriend, Katie!


Sybil, or as we like to call her, Nana Syb came! We were so glad you could make it!


The spread! Jeff's Aunt Dana made it to the party with Julie.


My aunts Dorothy and Melba! They both had quite the drives to get there! We are so thankful they could come.


Boone playing with the Murphy kiddos! Thanks for coming guys!


Just like the good ole' college days. Are we old enough to be able to say that?


Getting ready for cake! My aunt always gets her grandsons a birthday number balloon for whatever birthday they are celebrating. We continued the tradition for Boone! 


Us with Boone before he really tore into the cake!


Boone with two of his second cousins. Logan (on the far left, from Emily's side of the family) and Wesley (in the middle, from Jeff's side)


Digging into the cake! He was timid at first, but who wouldn't be with that many people starring at you?



Playing with Papa Sutterfield


I got a chance to hold Boone's second cousin Mayci! She was only 6 weeks old here! So sweet.


Boone with Grandpa Robertson


Boone being held by my cousin-in-law, Jessica and playing with my soon-to-be cousin-in-law, Samantha! You can tell he is loving the attention.


The Libberts! (My aunt and uncle and cousins!)


No trip to the farm is complete without going to check on the cows! The white one is actually Boone's!


Checking out the cows!


Boone with his pals, the Murphys, again! 


Jam that I made for everyone to take home! I borrowed the idea from another friend and had some help making it, but I'm anxious to try some more canning now!


My mom, Carol and Sybil. These ladies took care of all the clean up while I was still visiting with people! These three ladies mean so much to me and I'm thankful for all three of them.


Carol and I snapped this photo after the party! I made it into thank you notes for all the wonderful gifts that Boone received! Thanks again for everyone who made the effort to come out to celebrate with us! It means so much to have so many people who care about Boone and want to love on him.

Phew! I guess it takes a big party to celebrate a big year! And this last year was a big one for us! Lots of good times, lots of hard times, lots of learning. We are so thankful for EVERYTHING this year has brought us, and it all started with that little boy in the overalls. SO thankful!

Until next time,


Jeff, Emily + Boone

1 comment:

  1. Ok this is just the sweetest! Boone looks like such a happy mad fun little boy! And the farm theme is adorable! Congratulations on making it through the first year!!

    ReplyDelete